Episcopal Church of the Redeemer
A Brief History of Church of the Redeemer - Ruston, Louisiana
The Episcopal Church in Ruston began in the home of Mrs. W. M. Arnold on August 5, 1902. Fifteen ladies met there and organized the St. Mary’s Guild. They immediately under took a fund drive which would enable them to build a church. A parcel of land on the corner of Bonner Street and Alabama Avenue was purchased in December of 1904. In 1911, the cornerstone was laid for the first Episcopal Church of the Redeemer.
The early church struggled to grow with only occasional services. It was discovered that the original church was built on quicksand. After attempts to save the building over the years failed, the lot and building were sold in 1942. All that remains are the four stained glass windows, which are in the library and hall of the now existing office complex. The next six years a small group of people met in homes and on the campus of Louisiana Tech. In 1948, a chaplain was appointed to La. Tech. By January 26, 1949, the Church of the Redeemer was reorganized as a mission of the Diocese of Louisiana.
In July 1949, ground was broken for a new all-purpose building at 504 Tech Drive. In January 1954, the Church of the Redeemer gained parish status from the Diocese. The educational building was built in 1958. Five years later, in 1963, the cornerstone for the new sanctuary was laid and it was dedicated on December 10, 1963. By April 28, 1974, the loan was paid in full. The church, looking to the future, purchased additional land in 1982. Extensive renovations to the Parish Hall and a new wing for new offices and library were completed in 1984.
Since 1949, the church as seen much growth, many changes, and met many challenges. The future of the Episcopal Church in Ruston looks very bright.
Original building for the Church of the Redeemer on the corner of Bonner Street and Alabama Ave. in 1930.
Church of the Redeemer